Wednesday, March 31, 2010

THE LOST GENERATION

The one thing that i have discovered as a person and writer is my own individuality and some uniqueness.
I say some uniqueness because as i know there are so many people around who would share my thoughts and feelings.
Yet others would not necessarily do so, which i do accept, for the very same reasons i wish they understood, shared, and lived my sentiments and sentimentalities; my reason and reasonability.
In an age that is marked by steep polarisation in the Zimbabwean society, one hardly affords the luxury of being neutral, or non-partisan.
Professor Jonathan Moyo has called neutrals an "endangered species".
One could not agree more.
As a matter of fact, i consciously commented on a Facebook post by one Vio Mak, whose "friend" request i accepted on the very curiosity of our differing views, that her saying that she was "non partisan" was a sick and dishonest joke.
I am consciously partisan, and do not attempt to be otherwise, lest i be dishonest or sick to myself.
Being a holder of views that i admittedly have not been shared by many collegues, especially those of my own age, i celebrate such a status as something of a rarity.
Suffice to say, i regard myself as a member of a lost generation.
Being a columnist, i felt this keenly when i realised that my wonted style of pun and word play could have been used against me when someone called me by the name Eagle Eye, which happens to be the name of the column that i sometimes write.
Call it paranoia, but i think i heard the fella calling me Eag-lie, which in my view could have been insipired by a sentiment that what i write might not be informed by truth.
Of course, i have never deliberately lied in my writing, and i do not wish to anytime in the future .
I strongly have reservations, if not contempt, for anybody who might think that anything that does not tally with their common, if not unispiring views, is a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment